Friday, August 31, 2007

Don't criticize if you don't...?

From Alvin:
Anyone, organization or church that does not do what God mandates use to do as described in Matthew for the least among us because the government is involved is neglecting its duties. Harping about government involvement all the time is just an excuse people use not to do more. Do not criticize what the government has done and claim people should fix disasters like Katrina and you have not been done there yourself. How are you going to ask people to do something you have not done yourself? Makes me think is more about criticizing the government than helping.
So...by extension, you shouldn't criticize pastors unless you have been a pastor, abortion if you haven't been out to an abortion clinic to protest, prisons if you haven't been to a detention center, or criticize the health care industry for the elderly until you minister regularly in an "old folk's home?"

Truth is, I haven't been down to the coast but I haven't because I was busy and continue to be very busy on the foregoing fronts.

Is life as simple as "Don't criticize if you don't directly participate?" How many things does that exclude taxpayers from having a voice on?

Comment?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger aedney said...

Let me weigh in first and clarify. My statement in no way meant that people that are not directly involved in something should not have an opinion. My comments were directly related to your answer to big government involvement, specifically to Kitrina response. I took offense to it because it seemed like just another attempt to take a jab at "big government" and disregard this nation's most tragic natural disaster.Part of government's duties are to promote the general welfare. If responding to Kitrina was not that, I do not know what would be. As for the cost, you should research a lot of the stories coming about about monies being diverted to the wealthy and not the people in need. To clarify my position, if you claim you have not or will not do anything because there is government involvement, I think that is a sad excuse. To further clarify, the reason there is so much need for government involvement is because a lot of people have followed your lead. Should help, almost helping, etc are the same as not helping.

Lastly, cute tactic. My sign in name is aedney, you responded to me as Alvin. I was not attempting to be annonymous. So as to remove all doubt, I am Alvin Darcell Edney,I, son of Norris and Lillian.

August 31, 2007 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will comment. I can't tell what Alvin/Aedney is saying. He needs someone to proof his writing.

September 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger aedney said...

Flee, maybe you should start at the beginning of the post or go back even further and recall R.I.F.(Reading Is Fundamental) from your grammer school days.

September 4, 2007 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

RIF was a government school concept, wasn't it?

September 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt that said something about the critic not counting. It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and be critical of people actually in the arena. Heck, it sounds great on a radio talk show!

September 5, 2007 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger aedney said...

As much as I respect Matt for the positions he takes on things, he does not respect opposing opinions. It is pretty hard to speak on a subject intelligently if you have limited knowledge or if your sources are one sided. He does not want to admit that his position is one that he does not care to change regardless of fact or circumstance. I do not have a problem with any of that. But I will attempt to bring this issue home for Matt in a way that he will understand. Never in a million years would Matt respect the opinion of someone that has not been to an abortion clinic on how he should go about protesting one. My opinion of that is that he would probably be in a better position to know what is best because he is out there on the front lines. That is all this Katrina discussion was about. I do not think he was in any position to be so critical with his limited knowledge of the situation. Everything should not be so political.

September 5, 2007 at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home